FDA Steps into Ethical Minefield

PlanB.jpg

Yesterday, the FDA gave approval for the morning after pill to be sold over the counter to women over the age of 18. In a highly criticized move by pro-life groups at his press conference earlier this week, President Bush, expressed his support for the early abortion pill, saying he would stand by the decision of his new FDR commissioner, Andrew von Eschenbach.

The decision still makes it necessary for minors to obtain a prescription before obtaining the abortion causing, Plan B, but what’s to prevent an adult from buying it over the counter and giving it to a minor? This goes back to the whole issue of parental consent for a minor to have an abortion. So, we won’t allow a minor to have an abortion without her parent’s consent, but in this case we are presented with a huge loophole that will make it easy for a minor to obtain an early abortion pill through the use of someone over the age of 18. President Bush has put himself in a bad position by vetoing the stem cell research bill (which would have caused the destruction of early human life) a few weeks ago, to now being supportive of Plan B (which can cause early abortions in women, not to mention the safety concerns).

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: FDA Steps into Ethical Minefield.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://novatownhall.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/543

There's no compromising with liberals:
____________________________________________________

Logical said:

There is no abortion because there's no implantation. If fertilized eggs are the marker for when abortions take place, God is the biggest practitioner!

Even granting your definition, Logical, it is not even legal to dispense Aspirin to a minor without a parent's permission or a court order. Furthermore, since all life comes from God, He can do with it as He please. Our usurping that authority is the problem here. He is God, we are not.

Under what circumstances do you think a minor should take this drug without parental consent?

Logical said:

A minor cannot buy the drug without parental consent. Your point is moot.

Moderate 5-19 said:

Once again President Bush plays the right like a cheap date, pulling you out and using you when it meets his needs, but not coming through on issues of importance to you. (Spending, illegal immigration etc). But the far right continues to stay in his corner hoping that one day he won’t just date and do you but will actually marry you.

How anyone can give him an overall positive approval rating in beyond me.

Logical said, "A minor cannot buy the drug without parental consent. Your point is moot."

Logical also said, "So you're saying that God likes to kill off babies. Therefore he is the biggest practitioner of divine abortion in the world. That's awfully nice of him."

FYI, you are striking VERY close to a tender spot here. We have had the pain of miscarriage. You and I are too grounded in the physical world to understand that act of God, but I do know that that child's soul was never touched by original sin.

M5-19: It beats the heck out of the shafting we'd get from Gore or Kerry.

Moderate 5-19 said:

Jack,

Yes but at least you on the right expected that "shafting" from Kerry and Gore,

Bush was believed to be the "savior" of all things conservative and right, thus his Judas behavior hurts even more.

Bush HAS been a bit of a disappointment on many policies. Still, I cannot recall ever having an election in which I could vote FOR a candidate, rather than AGAINST the other one.

Nevertheless, after the conservatives beat him up over his first SC nominee, he gave us a couple of good ones, and he made no move to renew the Clinton Gun Ban. I also still believe he has been better against the terrorists than Gore or Kerry would have been. So it's not all bad.

Moderate 5-19 said:

Jack,

Sadly I much agree that I also can't remember voting for rather then against.

Although I believe Bush has done a better job in the war on terror then a Kerry administration, I'm not convinced Al Gore would not have done just as well if not much better. People forget Gore is a hawk on military and defense issues and that he was one of the few Democrats who voted for the first Gulf war. Not to mention I think he would have been smarter with his prosecution of the war and willing to listen to advisors.

(I guess we really got off subject on this one, sorry Aislinn)

Bush or Gore is a moot point now anyway. We vote on what we think the candidates will do, and we never get to see what the other guy would have done.

Moderate 5-19 said:

AGREED

Logical said:

"Please read the link I first posted. The liberals want to make it available to minors without presciption or parental consent."

I did. It's not right now. So no worries. Fight that battle when it comes.

Sorry about your lost but apparently God had other plans for your pregnancy. Why would God cause suffering like that? So you can be stronger? That's a crappy deal to me.

Logical:

Crappy perhaps. But we are here to be molded into what God wants us to be. Most people have far worse trials than I do.

Gays, for one. God calls them to be celebate, but makes it very hard to be so. I truly believe that those homosexuals who resist their urges, and do as God asks for a short time (remember Pink Floyd, "It's only a lifetime"), will be richly rewarded for all eternity -- far greater than I could hope to be.

The fight is here NOW, my friend. On page 2 of the article: "Last year, the [New York-based Center for Reproductive Rights] filed a lawsuit to do away with all age restrictions for over-the-counter purchases of Plan B, and Ms. Northrup said the lawsuit will continue."