PTA – Peril for Parents?

This just came across the e-mail from PFOX, which is, I recently learned, demonized by many in the GLBT community. I don't understand that at all - maybe someone can explain it to me.

PTA – Peril for Parents?

By Regina Griggs, Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays & Gays (PFOX) Executive Director

Do the initials “PTA” bring to mind innocuous parent-teacher meetings and parent-student school projects? Think again. The national Parent Teacher Association, fondly known as PTA, is under the leadership of chief executive officer Warlene Gary. Ms. Gary previously served as the National Education Association’s human rights director and that school union’s liaison to gay interest groups.

PTA bills itself as the “largest volunteer child advocacy association in the nation.” It holds an annual convention and exhibition attended by public school teachers, students and parents. Last year’s convention theme was “diversity.” In keeping with PTA’s theme, Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays & Gays (PFOX) applied for an exhibit booth. PTA rejected our application in favor of a gay organization’s application on the grounds that the gay organization was there to “educate parents on the topic of school bullying.” PTA also allowed the gay organization to hold a workshop.

When we visited the gay organization’s exhibit booth, we encountered materials that denounced therapy for homosexuals with unwanted same sex attractions, recommended anti-ex-gay publications, essentially denied the existence of former homosexuals (so much for tolerance and diversity), and urged the Southern Baptist Convention to vote against one of its resolutions on homosexuality in public school education.

What do these exhibit materials have to do with school bullying? Despite our repeated requests, PTA has yet to explain the discrepancy between “bullying” information and anti-ex-gay materials. It seems the only ones being bullied here are former homosexuals and their supporters.

The gay workshop materials included a “Heterosexist Challenge” quiz, a “What is Heterosexual Privilege” handout on marriage, a “Learning About Sexual Diversity at School in Every Discipline” chart outlining how students in math class can make pie charts of how many gay and transgender people are visible in their textbooks, and “What is Age Appropriate” materials instructing primary school children to learn that “there aren’t any girl colors and boy colors or girl games and boy games.” How are these workshop materials related to the bullying issue, as PTA claims? Indeed, what happened to the days when the PTA was concerned with educators teaching our children how to think rather than what to think?

One of the workshop’s power point slides was entitled “Failure to Protect” and stated: “Because of their own conservative moral or religious beliefs, or ignorance of the seriousness of the problem, many teachers and administrators turn a blind eye, or even tacitly approve of, GLBT harassment and discrimination.” This seems agenda driven. The real harassment and discrimination that parents should fear is the PTA sanctioned intolerance of conservatives and faith-based families.

This year PFOX again applied for a PTA exhibit booth and was again rejected although the same gay organization was accepted. PTA refuses to answer why it rejected our bullying material, which is actual anti-bullying information to help students instead of gay activist publications opposing heterosexual ‘privileges’ and denouncing former homosexuals. Is this what our children deserve from their PTA?

National PTA, which last year received a $480,000 grant from the Department of Labor, lobbies Congress to vote against school vouchers because it opposes using tax dollars to finance vouchers for private schools. But is it any wonder that families are asking Congress to support vouchers when PTA, in representing public school interests, allows a gay activist group to exhibit at its conference while censoring other family organizations?

PTA’s actions are a prime example of why taxpayers are demanding vouchers for students to attend private schools instead of increased federal spending for public schools. Parents deserve education for their children, not indoctrination. So think again when you see the initials “PTA.”

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: PTA – Peril for Parents?.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://novatownhall.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/594

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

Arrr! Ye got me! (tis International Talk Like A Pirate Day, in case ye didna Know)

So you approve of discrimination against gays?

Aye, welcome aboard then, matey, to the good ship Amnesty!

And no, we approve no discriminatin' in these parts.

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

Avast, ye. Why then does ye oppose the anti-discrimination education?

Shiver me timbers!

Yo ho ho, I just realized I be leavin' off the "blockquotes" on thar second part of the press release, perhaps causin' me hearties to think 'twas I wrote the piece. By the powers, that could not be!

Be that as it may, what I be sayin' with this great, grand bit of plagiarism is simply that one side be gettin' keelhauled by the scurvy curs that be runnin' the schools. This means the poor, pitiful sprogs only be gettin' half of the story. And from what the lass be writin', it be the black half, at that! Curse them privateers!

Whoops, me be missin' me grog!

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

Joe "the Neocon", I found this interesting/short article about Straussian thought. It's aimed at school kids in England:

"Irving Kristol, an American religious neoconservative, provide the basis for the modern noble lie: "There are different kinds of truths for different kinds of people. There are truths appropriate for children; truths that are appropriate for students; truths that are appropriate for educated adults; and truths that are appropriate for highly educated adults, and the notion that there should be one set of truths available to everyone is a modern democratic fallacy. It doesn't work." Kristol rejects the notion that the truth will make men free and agrees with Leo Strauss, a German political philosopher, that the popularisation of truth could cause a breakdown of the social order and moral conduct."

check it out!

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

please excuse the fact the about post is off-topic and not written in piratese

I'll give it a careful read tonight, thanks.

Back on topic, sans pirate speak, do you honestly believe that discrimination against "ex-gays" is a big problem in the schools? Do you really think that telling gay teenagers that if they don't want to be gay all they have to do to change their sexual orientation is punch some pillows or get electroshock therapy or undergo any number of other ridiculous snake-oil remedies that virtually every respectable psychiatrist agrees don't work?

The point is PFOX was not allowed to communicate with the kids. Sheesh. Doesn't that simple fact make the school/PTA officials seem kind of fishy?

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

I don't think so. It'd be like if some group wanted to meet with all the left-handed students in a school to tell them that they can change, and with a little work, they too can be right handed.

The suggestion that 'they can change' implies that there's something wrong with them, while also subtly reinforcing more hateful attitudes others might have toward the group being singled out. I would expect schools or the PTA or whatever to decide not to let the "Friends of Former Leftys" meet with schoolkids, either.

Actually, there may be something wrong with lefties: "minor brain damage at birth." ("http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_092.html")

Converting them may save them from some accidents, but it may be the brain damage that causes the accidents, not the left-handedness. (Although it does seem that some power tools are designed for right-handers.)

(I've also wondered if Semitic people's tend to more left-handedness, so their writing goes right-to-left to avoid smudges.)

Anyway, there is something wrong with gay people. If the affliction is curable, why try to hide that from them?

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

Jack, I happen to be left handed and frankly, I'm insulted. after making a strong argument re: education, there you to again talking like a jack ass.

quoting some dipshit opinion writer.... I want to fight you. let's see if you can find anything wrong with my left hook

"something wrong"

to you, different = wrong, huh? smug simp, who the hell do you think you are to define left handedness as "wrong"
Jesus Christ on a crutch, of all the damned fool things I expected to see when I logged onto this site...

"brain damage" are you kidding me?

how about you can take your proper right hand and shove it?

your "gay affliction" opinion is also b.s.

you're dead to me

And.... fanTAStic! Boy oh boy everything has sure turned out wonderfully here at the NOVA TownHall Blog-Debate-Shoot -em -up.

The great thing about bringing liberals and conservative together is the overwhelming CIVILITY of the conversation. I must say, we're a fine bunch of folks, are we not??

Apart from the sheer love, I must comment upon the brotherly camaraderie we have engendered here. It's a fine day when a man can state his feelings about another man and despite the differences everyone can go home happy.

Oh, lord, this is wonderful. Thank you to all of our NOVA TownHall authors and commenters for reminding all of us what life is all about.

I'm humming Kumbaya - will all of you join me?

By the way, Stay Puft, if at any point in time you wish to have your comments edited just send me a note. Because I happen to have some familiarity with semi-unintentional extremism.

You know, saying stuff you later want to retract. Some of us do it all the time.

Ok reading all this by the light of day, I have to say it is pretty hysterical on a few levels.

Level one is, obviously no one believes lefties have anything wrong with them so for Jack to state "there may be" is pretty funny. That's how it struck me the first time I read his comment.

On another level, if Jack truly BELIEVES there is something wrong with lefties, well then Jack is truly some type of "old timer," then, isn't he? Like the kind of old timer who can talk for hours about the Tri-Lateral Commission and says "those people" a lot. Hee hee hee, what a throwback!

But on yet another level, if Jack is sort of tongue in cheek suggesting there is something wrong lefties to screw with peoples' heads, now THAT is funny because it's a joke you could take pretty far. I imagine a "Left Handed Heritage Month" here at NOVA TownHall in the not too distant future.

In any case, I think Stay Puft was on the tail end of a 12-pack last night with maybe some shots of Schnapps thrown in for good measure, and maybe had gotten some funny looks at the bowling alley while trying to find a left-handed ball, and we just served as that last little straw to break the camel's back. Well, I feel terrible, and I think we all should. So maybe we should all try saying some really nice things about the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man before we all get sued, eh, guys?