Pope Benedict Visits Turkey

Amid protests, Pope Benedict XVI is visiting Turkey, and has refused wearing protective body armor, as well as other security measures.

...There's no doubt that Pope Bendict is putting himself in some danger, nevertheless, he looks at it like this: We need examples of bravery in our world today, and he's convinced that the vast majority of Muslims here in Turkey are peace-loving.

-Father Jonathan Morris

I pray he is correct, and I pray his method of peace-making is more effective than mine. God Bless the Pope.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Pope Benedict Visits Turkey.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://novatownhall.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/767

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

'course he's correct, he's the bloody pope! he's infallible!

Ratzinger is the man. He is smarter than he lets on, and he lets on pretty darn intelligent.

This guy could be the most revolutionary Pope ever. Just watch him. He is definitely the man for the age.

No Relation said:

He is a good guy. Definitely a man who can reach across the aisle. Soft on method, solid on principle. Maybe the Ronald Reagan of Popes.

Poof, if you're not being 100% sarcastic, we might actually have our first resemblence of agreement.

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

nope, sorry. I was being 100% sarcastic.

Pope Benedict will have some geopolitical stuff to weigh in on, obviously. He also is inclined to talk about clerical celibacy. He's also about the smartest guy in the friggin' world. You could write books on what Ratzinger did before he was Pope.

Considering how screwed up the world is, this Pope could do a lot if he spoke out about what is significent about western civilization.

The inhabitants don't seem to have a clue.

No Relation said:

Poof: Too bad. We'll save the religious discussions for other posts. I guess 100% sarcastic means you disagree with his spokeman's statement's about Islam being a peaceful religion?

You're right on, Joe. Benedict is brilliant, although still a rookie, as far as popes are concerned. I look up to him and I expect he will be a great Pope.

No Relation said:

In fact, you could make a good argument he's the Rex Grossman of Popes!

I must respectfully disagree with the comments about Pope Benedict. I won't quibble about his intelligence. However, I think you forget that he helped cover up incidents of child sexual abuse by priests:

In 1986 he authored the infamous encyclical "On the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons," which in this passage appeared to justify gay bashing by blaming the victims:
"When homosexual activity is consequently condoned, or when civil legislation is introduced to protect behavior to which no one has any conceivable right, neither the Church nor society at large should be surprised when other distorted notions and practices gain ground, and irrational and violent reactions increase."

Islam isn't the only religion he has insulted. In 1997 he called Buddhism "autoerotic spirituality" and claimed it would replace Marxism as the Church's "biggest foe."

In The Spirit of the Liturgy he wrote of rock music:
""Rock" . . . is the expression of elemental passions, and at rock festivals it assumes a cultic character, a form of worship, in fact, in opposition to Christian worship."

Worst of all, he condemned the Harry Potter books in 2003, warning that there "are subtle seductions that are barely noticeable and precisely because of that deeply affect (children) and corrupt the Christian faith in souls even before it (the Faith) could properly grow."

I'm most puzzled of all that you would call him a revolutionary. As John Paul II's hatchet man he ruthlessly suppressed all dissent in the Church. He is an authoritarian and a reactionary, not a revolutionary in any way. And he is the oldest person to be selected Pope in nearly 300 years so there is not much chance he is going to effect much change anyway.

Zimzo, you are out of your league on this one. Ratzinger is a conservative, but by no means a thoughtless one. I'm guessing you've never read a single interview with him.

None in the Church have come off too well in the sexual scandals, I grant you. I don't have a dog in that fight. But the problem sure as heck did not revolve around him - it has been very broad based, to put it gently.

He is a huge intellect, and likely to have a major impact during a time of critical transition. The liberal press won't approve of anything he says or does, but in the end I think he is going to surprise a large number of people. You just watch.

Here is a great column on Benedict, one of the best I've read:

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

Joe: I don't think the "liberal press" is being so hard on him. His visit to Turkey was a Time mag. cover story, (I'm assuming you lump time with what you consider the "liberal [ie. not blatantly conservative] press") and it basically said that he's got a lot of potential.

...but it's true that the biggest thing he's done so far is enrage the Islamic world. Grant it, a lot of things enrage the muslim world, but he's yet to prove himself as a uniter, not a divider.

(Jack, I'm aware that he was quoting some 15th century dude, so don't let's start with the "liberals always ignore the facts" line) ;O)

Joe Man said:

Good point, Puft. I guess I was conflating Zimzo with a bunch of others I envision as the Zimzo-sphere.

I'm not sure at all that Pope Benedict's mission is, or should be, that of a uniter. You can't "unite" truth with falsehood.

Well, the "truth" according to Pope Benedict is that you are probably going to hell, according to his Declaration "Dominus Iesus."

I find it very interesting that you say about the Catholic child sex scandals that you "don't have a dog in that fight." So you go crazy when "gay activists" take a picture of someone's kid in public or kiss in front of kids, but you seem strangely unmoved by widespread sexual abuse of children by Catholic priests and an endemic policy of coverup of said abuse by the Roman Catholic hierarchy.

As the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith Pope Benedict was in charge of investigating these abuses and so who did he blame? A media conspiracy (sounds oddly familiar):

"I am personally convinced that the constant presence in the press of the sins of Catholic priests, especially in the United States, is a planned campaign, as the percentage of these offences among priests is not higher than in other categories, and perhaps it is even lower."

By the way, it's great to know there's a Zimzo-sphere. I guess it's better to live in a sphere than to live in a bubble.

And I thought bubbles WERE spheres.