Dispatches: From the Front Lines

This is from reader Had Enough, who I suspect is local, and who I know is seeing things first-hand:

When 80% of the invaders are from a specific source, it must be the main problem.

It makes no difference where you read or hear about the crimes with illegal aliens that 80% commit 95% of the crime.

And, let's not forget John Lee Malvo either. Now we are footing the bill for the rest of his life.

No matter who they are it does not matter - they are all illegal aliens and they are not supposed to be here to begin with.

I do not care where they come from, they need to go home.

I believe that the 4,500 or so Citizen families that lose a family member each year agree. If the laws had been enforced most likely those 4,500 people would still be alive.

No ivory tower proclamations are needed.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Dispatches: From the Front Lines.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://novatownhall.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/772

kevin said:

Also from Enough:

"Bush knew when he signed the fence bill it was not funded. It was a stunt only meant to pacify and shut people up for the time being.
He does not and never did want any enforcement.
Since March he has been working hard behind the scenes forming his North American Union with Canada & Mexico which will open both borders and put our truck drivers and dock workers out of work while Mexico is running their own Customs Station from Kansas which Mexico says the station will have to be declared a Territory of Mexico to operate.
This port in Kansas will be for the shipments of cheap goods from China shipped to Mexico and trucked to Kansas from Mexico. Then distributed by Mexican Truckers throughout our country on the New Super Highway that we will be paying for very soon.
He has signed this North American Union under a trade agreement.
His plan is for Mexico have have Free Reign of this Country and to bring us down to Mexico's level. Canadian citizens are outraged and puzzled as to why we are not."

______http://www.novatownhall.com/blog/2006/11/help_save_the_us.php#comments

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

nice. HE's rhetoric is representative of a concerted effort to dehumanize immigrants:

"invaders"
"aliens"
"killers of OUR family members" (paraphrase)

It's worth noting that historically, this sort of dehumanization, along with an increased presence on the borders, are two tell-tail precursors to war.

Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if HE would support such measures, as least rhetorically. As a true alien once said, "that course of action would be highly illogical."

I'm not sure who should be more ashamed: HE for making nutty pronouncements that he may not be responsible for due to his mental incapacity, or Joe for elevating his comments and implying that he approves of them. Of course, this could be just another one of Joe's desperate and sad attempts to generate traffic.

I repost H.E. because he or she is, as the title says, on the front lines. The items H.E. has submitted bespeak someone who is dealing with the local problems ... A citizen who happens to be intelligent and literate enough to write about issues they've researched. That's my read on this person.

I understand how the peanut gallery interprets H.E. as simply uncouth. But take a step back and consider this is not a blogger but a regular person who could be your or my neighbor.

Do any of you who profess a concern for the little guy have any sympathy for the H.E.s of the world who think they are getting a bad deal because of unenforced immigration policies?

Here is another:

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

we shouldn't scoff at Joe's efforts to generate traffic. they've sucked US in!

Joe, I thought all your neighbors were illegal aliens!
I sympathize with anyone who's trapped in an oppositional "us vs. them" world view. It doesn't make his experience illegitimate; it's just unfortunate, the lens through which he sees his world.

Thanks, SP, this is the point these many reposts over the past few months are supposed to make. Some folks are freaking out, and they are not all idiots. Again, this puts us on the road to understanding.

Acknowledging the other guy is not a demon is the first step toward constructive discussion. Let me know if you're ever going to be in the DC area. I'd be interested in getting your take on what we are seeing here.

This is not to say it's not all about traffic, fame, notoriety and world-renown for yours truly. I do want that.

Had Enough said:

Stay- What do you call it when 6,000-10,000 people that you do not know who they are or why they are sneaking over the borders in the middle of the night while you sleep.

Illegal Aliens has always been the description used to classify them. Only in recent times with this political correct, do not want to offend anyone BS because they complained. This term is still on the books although some refuse to use it. I believe if you check the dictionary you will also find that term.

They were referred to as wetbacks by our president in the 50's and he referred to the invasion from the south. Incidently, those million aliens were deported.

I will presume you call a child molester and rapist "sexually misguided".

I can't imagine what you would call a illegal if you lost a family member because an illegal drunk driver with 4 times the legal limit with no license that was never supposed to be here in the first place killed them with a car or otherwise.

The fact of the matter is they are Illegal and they are not supposed to be here.

Had Enough said:

North American Union by Congressman Ron Paul (TX)

North American Union would supplant U.S. sovereignty by Karen S. Johnson, Republican member of the Arizona Senate representing District 18.

New money for us "The Amero"

Had Enough said:

Illegal Aliens are Not Immigrants! The misinterpretation is the reason that we have so many problems today.

I have known many Immigrants from Colombia, Poland, UK, Israel, Pakistan and others and they came legally, not sneaking in the middle of the night.

If the citizens continue or begin to take this lightly as our president does, we will not have a country to worry about.

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

Joe, I couldn't agree more with, "Acknowledging the other guy is not a demon is the first step toward constructive discussion."

perhaps HE could do the same?

HE, I'm talking about political correctness, and I'm not going to argue with you about whether calling people "aliens" dehumanizes them. It clearely does. Whether you think this is justifiable is another question.

I imagine that if a loved one was killed in a car crash, worrying about the citizenship status of the person who hit them would be the last thing on my mind.

you're correct that in the 50s our society was considerably more rascist. Look how far we've come!

How does calling someone an alien dehumanize him? You've been watching too much Sci Fi.

Robin said:

Puffy, as much as I adore most of the things you say and I do agree that calling names is not the answer, I do have to disagree with you. We can't economically continue to support the influx of an illegal population. I have spoken to some of these folks and they seem to be decent people but I can't agree it's a good idea to allow anyone to enter this country (or any country) illegally. Either people need to apply for citizenship and give back to the host county with paying taxes etc. or face the consequenses for breaking the law.

Joe, when you wrote "Acknowledging the other guy is not a demon is the first step toward constructive discussion" I nearly fell out of my chair. I'm not saying you don't at least give this concept the ole college try, but you certainly tolerate a great amount of demonization in your blogdom as Puffy pointed out. And when someone pushes your homophobic button, it's a pretty wince-inducing.

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

Jack, you're kidding, right?

Robin, well, it's been estimated that undocumented workers contribute something like
$80 billion to the gdp, and they do pay some taxes: sales taxes and property taxes in the form of rent to landlords. It's also been found that undocumented immigrants on average pay more in taxes than they consume in tax-supported services. So 'we' might not need to support anything, 'they' seem to be supporting themselves and then some.

(i've sited specific sources for this information here before. most of it can be found at http://PewHispanic.org )

Of course the situation isn't ideal. (Case and Point: what would it take for YOU to leave your home and sneak into a foreign country where your rights are limited, your status is "Illegal", and people view yo as an invader?) However, I think the trick is to work toward managing things rather than controlling them. Until conditions improve parts of Mexico and Latin America, people are going to come here looking for a better life.

We can manage the situation by working toward economic development in Latin America while at the same time allowing more people to enter the country legally, so that taxes and etc. can be done fairly and above the table.

on the other hand, attempts to control the situation have so far only been effective in creating an "us vs. them" mentality, which in my opinion is counterproductive.

Ted said:

DUI illegal kills Marine
home on leave from Iraq

One week after he slammed his Nissan Sentra into a car waiting at a stoplight, killing a U.S. Marine and his female passenger, Eduardo Raul Morales-Soriano, whose blood alcohol level was measured at .32, four times the legal level in Maryland for intoxication, has been identified as an illegal immigrant by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Office in Baltimore.

Robin said:

Ok Puffy I do like the sound of folks paying their way but I just feel that it is unethical to allow people to break the law. I'm all for helping someone up though. If were could get the refugees registered and paying their way totally then, well, ok., let's see if it can work.

As far as me sneaking into another country well I wouldn't want to do that. Although I did think about it in the last presidential election. :-)
Seriously, if I felt in danger or needing to go to another country, I, personally, would apply to the government. That's just me though.

Robin, that's a key point and a simple one: Does the U.S. get to limit immigration at all? Every other country does. Assuming our country can also, where do we draw the line? Maybe that should be the starting point for the debate.

I recall Jack tried to get an answer on this months ago and was not successful.

Zimzo, once again I'm criticized for being too tolerant as manager of the blog. I've only banned and deleted one commenter so far. Sorry about that.

I think it's good to highlight different points of view. I've highlighted a few of yours over the months, you recall.

That's the deal here. If you want censorship, I can point you to some liberal blogs where it is alive and well.

I do not want censorship, Joe. That's a straw man. What I am asking for is context from you. Whenever you elevate one of my comments you always give it context, usually critical. When you elevated his, you not only didn't criticize it, you implied you agreed. Anyway, I encourage HE's crazy rantings because I think he reveals the real agenda behind your rhetoric, which you sometimes try to obscure.

The agenda is to curb illegal immigration. There is nothing hidden there. Our reasons for doing so may differ.

Happy Camper (formerly SPMM) said:

I think the US allows for an unrealisticly small number of people to come here from Latin America. Also, America is a wealthy country with a huge economy right next to some fairly weak/poor countries, so people are going to come here regardless. Many feel they have no alternative. so a more reasonable response would be to increase the number of people who can legally come here, bring them into the fold. Right now, a huge segment of the population is defined as "illegal," and alienates them from the larger population. For obvious reasons, that's not good for social stability.

Robin said:

Puffy darlin'
Why the name change? Although I'm glad you're a happy camper!

Former Puffy:

We do agree here. The quotas should be higher, but the borders have to be secured first.

Why should the illegals not be alienated, they're ALIENS!!

Had Enough said:

Data from the Pew Hispanic Center:

The vast majority of undocumented migrants from Mexico were gainfully employed before they left for the United States. Thus, failure to find work at home does not seem to be the primary reason that the estimated 6.3 million undocumented migrants from Mexico have come to the U.S. Policies aimed at reducing migration pressures by improving economic conditions in Mexico may also need to address factors such as wages, job quality, long-term prospects and perceptions of opportunity.

The demand for labor appears to play a strong role in shaping the economic destiny of Mexican migrants. Migrants are concentrated in a handful of industries -- agriculture, hospitality, construction and manufacturing. There are also signs of change in the characteristics of migrants and the nature of the demand for them. The more recently arrived and younger migrants from Mexico are better educated than their predecessors, less likely to be farm workers and more likely to have a background in other industries, such as commerce and sales. They increasingly come from a greater variety of regions in Mexico and make homes in new Mexican-migrant settlement areas in the U.S., such as New York and Raleigh, N.C.

A little more than a third (35%) of the respondents said they owned land, housing or a business in Mexico, but the share was much higher among men (43%) than among women (24%).

The survey respondents showed a high propensity to send money home to their families in the form of remittances. Nearly eight in ten (78%) said they send money to Mexico, and about half (52%) said they send money once a month or more.

Had Enough said:

The future: What we can look forward to:

LA TIMES: FACTS ABOUT ILLEGALS (in LA County)

From the L.A Times

1. 40% of all workers in L.A. County (L.A. County has 10 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This was because they are predominantly illegal immigrants, working without a green card.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.

4. Over 2/3's of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal whose births were paid for by taxpayers.

5. Nearly 25% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.

8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.

9. 21 radio stations in L.A. are Spanish speaking.

10. In L.A.County 5.1 million people speak English. 3.9 million speak Spanish (10.2 million people in L.A.County).

(All 10 from the Los Angeles Times)

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops but 29% are on welfare.

Over 70% of the United States annual population growth (and over 90% of California, Florida, and New York) results from immigration.

The cost of immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 was a NET (after subtracting taxes immigrants pay) $70 BILLION a year, [Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University].

29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens