A Gathering Democrat Storm

UPDATE: Vivian has now not only banned Jack but also closed comments on the post he sullied with his presence. It's a slippery slope, friends, a very slippery slope.

On a related note, I want to point out that if anyone, anywhere, at any time gets the notion to refer to MY party as the "Repub" Party, or gets the twisted idea of referring to me as a "Repub," I will not take it lying down. I will pursue that man or woman to the end of the Earth even though it take until the end of time and I WILL SEE JUSTICE SERVED. You will cry out to be banned from this blog after you find out what's in store for you. So don't even think about it.

UPDATE II: Charles notes

BTW, while Bush apologized for his mistake in the SOTU, I would note that he did not make a mistake.

In his speech he congratulated the winners for the "Democrat Majority". He was not saying the name of their party. He was expressing who was in the majority. IT was DEMOCRATS that were in the majority, not DEMOCRATICS. So it was a DEMOCRAT majority, not a DEMOCRATIC majority.

It would be the Democratic Party majority, except that the party cannot be a majority, there is only one of it.

The time has come to officially establish the "Democrat Wrath" category here, upon receiving word that the term "Democrat" is now utterly toxic to real-life Democrats.

Like kryptonite to the man from Krypton, that of which they were borne has become that which now threatens their very existence.

I don't need to rehash the issue, I'm sure. One example is our man Jack getting banned from the otherwise sensible Vivian Page's blog for daring to use the aforesaid offensive terminology.

I am envisioning the day when Democrats rule the world, yet are bedeviled by opponents who line the parade routes chanting "Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat ..." prior to being rounded up and hauled off for slaughter.

"How darest thou label us 'Democrats'", sayest the Democrats. "Nevermore, nevermore!"

In all fairness, Democrats do consent quite often to being called "Democrats" with nobody getting sent off to the gulag as a result. For this we can thank their liberalism.

On the other hand, improper pronunciation of the phrase "Democrat Party" is now deemed hate speech, punishable by prison time ... or is it "Democratic Party ...?" I guess I'll never get that one straight now.

Our very astute local professor, the Marshmallow Man, observed:

o cours you righ, bu wha ca yo expec fro a publican?!

... and how true it is that just two letters can make all the difference in the world.

I can only imagine if people were to begin calling me "Budzins".

It would be traumatic.

My immediate response to the horror follows:

This is a mental illness. I cannot believe Vivian has been afflicted.

We need to be wearing ribbons, Jack, to draw attention to this crisis.

I propose they be colored gray, to symbolize the gray area that "Democrats who cannot bear being called, er, Democrats" surely occupies.

They won both houses of Congress and yet are reduced to quivering puddles of ectoplasm when someone leaves the "ic" off the name of their party.

This isn't thin-skinned. This is just skinned. They are falling apart. They've been imbibing the mythology of oppression for so long they will never be able to function without it.

Prediction: If the Democrats win everything - Presidency, Congress, Supreme Court, Pulitzer, Grammies, Golden Globes, Miss Universe, Sheriff of every town in America and Donald Trump's next Apprentice, and every Republican in the land moves to Alberta, Canada - Democrats would commence to suing each other over windmill farms and broken pre-nups.

Because that is what they do. If they can't take offense over actual offenses, they will need to invent them.

I wonder if there are any remaining sensible Democrats. I hope some will speak up about this insanity. Because I am extremely close to launching a new category here, "Wrath of the Democrat Party," just to track this stuff.

I can't imagine the recriminations. They might actually begin calling my party the "Republic Party." Now that would leave a mark.

Democrats: I hereby seek a new name to call you by, and I ask for your suggestions. I'm thinking "Democratacians" has a nice ring, and you could lose a couple syllables and still have the gist of your nomenclature. "Demo" or even "Democrash" would both retain a certain logic.

Or, "Democraticatic" leaves plenty of room for the editorial department to play around with.

What we do not want to do is shorten it too far, because "Demo" abbreviated to "Duh" would absolutely send the wrong signal to the public at large.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: A Gathering Democrat Storm.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://novatownhall.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/894

I always laugh at the "Democrat" versus "Democratic" thing. It has two sources.

1) Some Republicans are not sufficiently literate to know the difference between a noun being used as an object ("I am a Democrat") an an adjective being used to modify a noun ("I belong to the Democratic Party"). Yes, I know that "Republican" is both a noun and an adjective, but "Democrat" isn't and the fact that so many Republicans can't manage this distinction just amuses me. You are a party of C- students. Is it any wonder that mainstream reporters hold you in contempt for you inability to use the English language properly?

2) The other reason Republicans refuse to heed the distinction between "Democrat" and "Democratic" is that they wish to give offense. It's like deliberately mangling the name of someone at work that you don't like: everyone knows that you are deliberately being offensive. Is it any wonder that mainstream reporters hold you in contempt for your bad manners?

"Mainstream reporters" - heh.

Then why, dear Richmond Democrat, does no-one complain about a WOMAN (as opposed to FEMALE) Speaker of the House?

Ward Smythe said:

RD:You are a party of C- students. Is it any wonder that mainstream reporters hold you in contempt for you inability to use the English language properly?

*snicker*

"you" inability?

C-Student, heal thyself.

Vivian invites all of you to her blog (http://blog.vivianpaige.com/) to read my "antics." (Don't bother with the search box, it only searches the posts, not the comments.) The worst you will come across (aside from my repeatedly using logic and facts) is my response to Vivian's accusation that I didn't know any Blacks, in which response I disclosed that I was voted "Honorary White Nigger" by the Blacks I worked with at Brook's Transfer and Storage.

all,
If Vivian had integrity, or sanity, in this matter she would post Jacks comments not just her take on those comments.

Jack,
where on the sight is she posting you comments?

Jack,
where on the sight is she posting you comments?

Jacob:

See the previous post, "Banned by Vivian Paige." There's a link there to the post on which she banned me.

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

Jack, come on, you're being a noodge on this issue.

Let's talk about recovery efforts in the gulf coast instead.

OK, so I'm a noodge. What adjective would you apply to Vivian in this case? Apparently, I've "noodged" her right off the deep end!

(BTW, did you peruse her site to see my "antics"?)

Kilo said:

Careful;;;;
There will be Bloggers for Vivian banners a flying!

HA! Great IMAO link.

Kilo, I thought maybe "Free Jack!" would make a good one.

charles said:

I think people should get to be called by the names they request, unless those names convey an honor undeserved.

So Democratic Party it is. That is the official name, and to use something else is childish (as of course is complaining about it).

However, I would note that after Vivian warned Jack not to use "Democrat Party" again, he did not. Instead, he called them something else. And she banned him.

I don't think she should have banned him without warning him about using OTHER names for her party.

I personally think politics, and our country, would be much improved right now if everybody could stop with the name-calling. I'm tired of it, from both sides. I'm tired of "Felix", I'm tired of "Hussein", I'm tired of Nancy "Stretch" Pelosi, and "Timmy Kaine".

We can make fun of Democrats by simply explaining their positions on issues. We don't have to make fun of their name.

Good reasoning Charles, except upon reflection it really isn't a very good name for the party for the reason you note: They are Democrats, not Democratics. Hmm, that gives me an idea. If they want it so bad let's toss the word "Democrat" altogether, and call them "Democratics."

We're getting silly here because as events have shown, the ones who are hung up on the name are anything but democratic.

stay Puft Marshmallow Man said:

if we're going to be technical, "democrat" modifies "majority," but "democrat" isn't a proper adjective, that's the grammatical problem with the use of the word.

but that isn't really what this whole thing is about, is it? this is related to the whole Ann Colder "how to talk to a liberal..." thing, where she says the point is to do whatever it takes to piss liberals off.

so when you go out into the blogosphere and piss someone off, you can say stuff like, "liberals don't want to debate the issues" or "liberals always resort to an hominem attacks," and snidely act like you're sincere attempts at bipartisanship were foiled by the hateful wrath of liberals.

...but that's just my interpretation of this 'issue'

I don't think of it as pissing people off in this case. I see it as tweaking a hyper- sensitivity. We're not the ones who banned anyone for poking fun, y'know.

"Hateful Wrath of Liberals" - great name for a rock band.

So, Puffy, I ask again, "Why does WOMAN Speaker of the House" not bother anyone, if it is a grammatical issue? See articles below:

BTW, did you bother to peruse Vivian's site to see my "antics" there?