Vogel Press Release

Attached below the fold is a press release from Jill Holtzman Vogel condemning our heinous senator from the 27th district.

I think the following sums up her position pretty well:

"Russ Potts has betrayed the trust of 27th District voters yet again. When he ran for reelection in 2003, he called himself the 'first pro-life chair' of the Education and Health Committee. He has reneged on that promise. Instead of keeping his word, he sided with the extreme pro-abortion lobby and against innocent human life that deserves protection," Holtzman Vogel said.

Before 10th District Republican complains, I'd be glad to post Tate releases if I knew how to get on his email distribution list.

At this point, I still don't have horse in this race and just want to make sure that both candidates are still in a position to win whenever the nominee is decided.

UPDATE: My apologies to the Vogel campaign as I'm not sure how to center the banner image. It didn't look like that on the press release. Maybe Joe will have some idea.

vogel_banner650.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 16, 2007 Contact: Lisa Mauck
540-341-8810

Holtzman Vogel Condemns Potts' Votes to Kill
Common Sense Pro-Life Legislation
27th District Contender Says Senator Reneged On His Promise to Voters

Warrenton, VA - 27th District Republican contender Jill Holtzman Vogel today condemned action taken by State Senator H. Russell Potts, Jr., to directly kill legislation that would have furthered respect for human life.

Potts, who chairs the Education and Health Committee, cast the deciding vote against legislation that would have made it a crime for a woman to kill her unborn child intentionally, as well as a bill to make it a crime to take the life of an unborn child while engaged in culpable conduct.

The Senator also joined slightly larger majorities to defeat another measure that would have made anesthesia available to unborn children during abortions to deal with fetal pain, as well as a fourth bill that would have required that a woman seeking an abortion be given an ultrasound to determine the gestational age of her unborn child.

"I would have supported all four bills before the Education and Health Committee yesterday. They were common sense measures intended to give women all the facts about her baby before an abortion, and to make it a crime to cause harm to him or her. Under current Virginia law, if a drunk driver were to strike and kill a pregnant woman, there are no distinct penalties for causing harm to her unborn baby. That is an oversight that needs to be corrected," she continued.

In a 2003 interview with the Winchester Star, Potts declared that he would be the "first pro-life chair" of the Senate Education and Health Committee. Potts' votes today have drawn the ire of pro-life activists around the state, including the Virginia Family Foundation.

The committee votes Thursday were on HB 2456, HB 2808, HB 2648 and HB 2532. All had passed with overwhelming majorities in the House of Delegates.

Holtzman Vogel is a Warrenton attorney with a nationally recognized practice specializing in government ethics, tax, campaign finance and non-profit organizations. Born and raised in the Shenandoah Valley, she was selected in 2004 as the first woman to serve as Chief Counsel of the Republican National Committee with then Chairman Ed Gillespie, now Chairman of the Republican Party of Virginia.

The 27th State Senate District includes the City of Winchester, Frederick County, Clarke County, most of Fauquier County, and the western portion of Loudoun County.

© 2007 Paid for and authorized by Jill Holtzman Vogel for Senate
98 Alexandria Pike, Suite 53 Warrenton, VA 20186

www.votejill.com

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Vogel Press Release.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://novatownhall.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/930

10thdistrictrepublican said:

Singleton,

No problem. I think press releases like this are a direct result of bloggers criticizing Mrs. Holtzman for the failure in the past to criticize our Senator. She has seen so many chances squandered and now that Mr. Tate called her out on taxes she I guess feels the need to be critical.

We can thank Mr. Tate for forcing the Holtzman campaign's hand on these press releases on taxes.

I guess the Holtzman campaign is trying the pro-life angle now. Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is the FIRST press release even done by Holtzman including 2003 that ever has mentioned abortion. We can also thank Mr. Tate for forcing her hand on abortion.

As the Folks at NOVAtown hall showed Mr. Tate sent out his fundraising letter criticizing Mrs. Holtzman on I believe Feb. 7 according to this blog. On Feb 10 the Holtzman campaign sent out a press release critical of Senator Pott's. She was essentially forced to do this by the Tate campaign since their fundraising letter was written BEFORE Holtzman decided to be critical of Potts. She had multiple chances before Mr. Tates fundraising letter went out and declined comment EACH time.

I have lived in the 27th for a long time and followed our local papers and to my knowledge I have never seen Holtzman be critical of Potts in the newspapers before Tate called her out on it. She has declined to comment several times before. I think the bloggers voices are being heard loud and clear by her campaign.

10thdistrictrepublican said:

My apologies for a few typos above. That's what happens when one tries to multitask.

In the end, I must say regardless of the reasons behind the press release, I was pleased to see that Mrs. Holtzman finally did make a public statement on the issue.

Tick or Tate Parade said:

Jill Vogel has done a really good job expressing the concerns and frustration of 27th District voters in her latest effort to take Senator Potts to task for his liberal voting record on the life issue.

Senator Potts should be ashamed for calling himself the "first pro-life chair" of the Senate Education and Health Committee. His votes are despicable.

Jill, keep up the good work!

rtwng extrmst said:

I get Mark Tate's emails. If you give me your address I will forward them. You can probably get on his list by emailing info@marktate.org.

World War 3 said:

All this talk of Jill Holtzman Vogel not being critical of Potts is getting old. Which came first the chicken or the egg? When is Mark Tate going to issue a statement criticizing our infamous state senator? Or doesn't he find Senator Potts votes objectionable?

Jill is in this race because Potts is a terrible Senator. Trying to persuade readers of this blog otherwise is pure nonsense.

Singleton said:

rtwing,

I'll get on that. I think I lost my email here during my extended break. Thanks for the link though.

Anonymous said:

You all suck and you know it. Potts has leadership, ideas, guts to stand up for what is RIGHT for all the people in the district. Have fun with your two billboards, but remember Potts has outplayed and outsmarted, all the haters, Allen, Kilgore, Kate Griffin..

10thdistrictrepublican said:

With all due respect, Mr. Tate has criticized Potts at every step of the way, in my local paper the past several weeks. I was pleasantly suprised to see Holtzman finally decided to join him. Good for her!

As for anyon 10PM,

No one should understimate a 16 year incumbent.

Fly on the Wall said:

It would appear that Mr. Tate has a history of using unauthorized endorsements.

Fauquier Citizen
June 11, 2003

Mayor did not endorse Senate candidate

Many of you in Warrenton received a letter last Thursday or Friday with "my" signature encouraging you to vote for Mark Tate for State Senate.

It was not my signature. I did not write the letter, nor did I authorize a letter to be sent under my name, nor did I authorize the use of my return address.

I expressed my outrage to Mark Tate, and he apologized for the mistake
by his staff.

Since I was not supporting Russ Potts because he had not fought for legislation which would, in effect, allow local governments to
determine their growth, Mark Tate asked me to support him with a letter of
endorsement.

I was later sent a draft of a letter to consider. I was shocked when I saw
this letter - from me to me - in my mailbox on Thursday, and then to
open it up and discover my strange signature.

I apologize for the intrusion caused by this unauthorized letter.

Mayor George Fitch
Warrenton

Rtwng Extrmst said:

Anon 10 PM: You say "Potts has leadership, ideas, guts to stand up for what is RIGHT for all the people in the district."

Anon was that when he supported lower taxes in 2003 or six months later when we was for more taxes? Was that when he was Pro-Life in 2003 or six months later when he consistently began opposing every single pro-life piece of legislation before his committee? Was that when he supported Republican candidates or when he jumped ship in 2005 and ran against his own party? Please anon, be serious. Potts is nothing more than a self promoter who puts his finger to the wind (when it's not poking a constituent in the chest) and goes in any direction he thinks will benefit his super-sized ego!

Rtwng Extrmst said:

I have to say Fly on the Wall's last post is certainly a big problem for Tate. Whether it was an honest mistake or not, that's not the kind of thing a serious candidate should let happen.

10thdistrictrepublican said:

That was 2003 Rtwing extrmeist.

I have heard from several sources that some on Mrs. Holtzman's list she parades EVERYWERE are NOT supporting her yet she keeps them on her list.

Fly on the Wall said:

If they are so bothered, why haven't they gone public like Mayor Fitch or asked the campaign to remove them or both?

10th District, I would think you'd be willing to name some names.

10thdistrictrepublican said:

Maybe they have, I really don't know. Maybe all in good time. I am sure if this is like any other primary we will have people on both sides switch as this can be common.

Mrs. Holzman is from what I have heard a very nice lady (although I disagree with her on some policy) as Mr. Tate is a nice gentleman. This type of twitching is bound to happen between now and primary day. Nothing unusual.

Fly, you seem to be in the know, just curious, is Fitch supporting Pott's right now or is he staying out of the race. Don't know too much about that area.

Why not name two or three things we like about our candidates instead of beating each other up.

1. Pro-second amendment

2. Mr. Tate is solidly Pro-life and pro-family

3. I like Mr. Tate's stance on growth and development. (Dominion Power included) I recieved a very nice flier in the mail on just this issue over the past several weeks.

4. I am totally against tax increases and on Mr. Tates flier I recieved he says he is for the Taxpayer Bill of Rights. I think the government should live within its means and not place the burden on the taxpayer.

The person wrote asking for the offending comment to be deleted, which I did along with the other two comments which repeated the remark.

Anonymous said:

Thank you Joe.

10thdistrictrepublican said:

Thank you Joe.

Singleton said:

Agreed. Good catch, Joe. I went to bed early last night.

Rtwng Extrmst said:

10th District. Thanks, I didn't see that was from 2003. Hopefully Mr Tata is running a little more smoothly this time. I still have alot to learn about both of these candidates before I choose one to support. Bottom line, we must stay united behind the winner of the two because the last thing I want to see is Potts back again and I'm not convinced he won't try it.