Help Save Manassas Kick Off

Congrats to Greg and Mike for a successful public meeting of Help Save Manassas tonight. There were a total of about 100 attendees, 40 of whom became members of the organization. Subtracting out of town visitors, a few press people and a few spies, there were at least 80 local residents who showed up because they are concerned about the effects of illegal immigration in Manassas and Prince William County.

Tonight was strictly organizational - a hurdle we in HelpSaveHerndon and HelpSaveLoudoun managed to sidestep by remaining disorganized. Or should I say unorganized. In any case there is no formal relationship between us and this new group but we wish them the best.

Getting 100 people to come out on a Tuesday to your kick off is no small achievement.

UPDATE: Blog Fu notes that a majority of the attendees did in fact sign on for membership:

Actually, all told I think there are over sixty membership applications in my stack. Also, the bylaws adopted tonight officially affiliate Help Save Manassas with the Help Save Virginia network. That formal organizational relationship is coming very soon, as the members have voted to institute one.

Sixty in one meeting is a phenomenal accomplishment, bringing HSM right out of the gate with a huge base for a community organization. If Help Save Manassas can do even an anemic "member-get-a-member" campaign over the next month - growing the membership by a third - they will be a major voice in the immigration debate. The Prince William County Supervisors ought to take notice.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Help Save Manassas Kick Off.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://novatownhall.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/1002

Greg Letiecq said:

By the way, I neglected to mention tonight how indebted we all are to you and the folks from Help Save Herndon for the inspiration and support you've provided. It was an oversight I regret, and hope you'll bear with us as we make these small mistakes from time to time as we gain experience and start hitting our stride. You folks have been invaluable, and I should have remembered to mention our debt to you.

No problema. You had a lot to juggle, and the ever lingering threat of disruptions - which never occurred. It was a very well-run meeting.

Now capitalize, damn you! Get all those interested members and officers involved, talking and acting. You all are poised to make a big difference.

Had-Enough said:

I sincerely hope that Manassas can be saved! Over the past 5 years the invasion has been exploding there. I personally do not know anyone that will even go there to shop or otherwise anymore. The hospital must be overwhelmed, every hispanic girl or woman you see there is pregnant.

The illegals believe that they are safe there. In 2002 I heard on a radio station that Manassas City was 38% hispanic. They were talking about some kind of hispanic festival and giving the stats.

If you really want to get sick you should go to the corner of 234 and 29 and watch the cars and trucks. You will think that you are in mexico.

I can tell you that their attitude towards citizens in Manassas is rude, offensive and a number of other things.

When I get time I will give you an example of several firsthand.

I first saw the problem in Maryland in the late 80's and early 90's. And in Fairfax and Centreville since the early 90's.

Thank bush, clinton, bush. They have encouraged this invasion and made life easy for them. It is you and I that must press 1 for English!

Everyone better start calling and faxing because AMNESTY is on the floor at the Capitol along with proposals for unlimited guest workers and HB1 visas and other completely unacceptable bills.

We are in for the fight of the century NOW!

Ted said:

So how do we get additional information about Help Save Manassas?

Maureen Wood said:

Joe,
I would like to Apologize to you, Aubry Stokes, Phil Jones and George Taplin. I should have taken the time to thank all of you publicly at last nights meeting. I was so focused on the agenda and not having any disruptions that it was an oversite I regret.

Anyone interested in joining Help Save Manassas can contact Greg Letique at admin@bvbl.net. We hope to have our next meeting soon. There is great momentum with this group and we need to keep it going.

Ted, Black Velvet Bruce Li (see our blogroll) can hook you up.

H.E., you've characterized well the mood I sensed in the room last night. A bunch of regular folks, ticked off and/or slightly bewildered at what has happened to their town over the past decade..

MARY FARMER said:

HOW CAN I JOIN

MARY FARMER said:

I AM SO W/ YOU ON THIS I DO NOT MIND PEOPLE OF ANY KIND . IF THEY FOLLOW OUR RULES.AND PAY THIER PART . WE HAVE WORKED HARD TO GET THIS COUNTRY WHERE IT IS TODAY .I WILL HELP ANYBODY TO MAKE A BETTER LIFE. BUT NOT TO TAKE OVER OUR COUNTRY. MY QUESTION IS HOW DO THEY BUY 3 & 4 HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLAR HOUSES .THEN TEAR THEM DOWN AND BUILD 3X THE SIZE . MY FAMILY STRUGGLES EA DAY TO PAY THIER HOUSE PAYMENT THEN THEY ALL DRIVE BRAND NEW CARS NOT CHEVY'S BUT NEW 4 WHEEL DRIVES HOW TELL ME HOW .SOMETHING IS SURE NOT RIGHT .YES HELP PEOPLE THAT NEED IT AND WELCOME THEM . LETS KEEP EVERYBODY ON A EVEN PALYING FIELD
HERE TO MANASSAS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE <>>

MARY SHULD BE PREZNIDENT OF YOUR GRUPE. SHE IS EXAKTLY TEH KIND OF PERSON YOU IS TRYING TO A PEEL TOO.

Mary,

Visit this guy's blog and tell him you want to join - he is one of the people who runs HSM.

Zimzo,

Wise guy.

jeff webb said:

There is one inescapable fact that our politicians can not seem to grasp, IF THEY ARE ILLEGAL ALIENS THEY SHOULD HAVE NO RIGHTS ALOTTED OR GIFTED TO THEM..IF I WERE TO BREAK INTO ONE OF THEIR HOUSES I WOULD GO TO JAIL, IF THEY BREAK INTO MY COUNTRY THEY SHOULD GO TO JAIL....SOLUTION TO TWO PROBLEMS---CITIZENSHIP FOR HONORABLE THREE YEAR HITCH IN THE SERVICE--IF THEY SAY NO-STOCKADE THEM AND SHIP THEM BACK-REENTER LEGALLY..NEXT TIME YOU ENTER ILLEGALLY GO TO JAIL STAY THERE FOR TWO YEARS THEN GET SHIPPED BACK....