New MasterCard and Visa Scam

As a recent victim of online credit card theft and an overall scam aficionado, I take a special interest in the following note which just came across via e-mail from a friend.

Somehow, there's a way people are getting hold of credit card records minus one or two pieces of info. Maybe some careless Web site database was recently hacked? If so, the proprietors should be taken out and shot because you aren't supposed to store customer credit card info anymore unless you're using security and encryption measures out the wazoo. You're supposed to use a third-party like VeriSign to do the validation. In my case they had almost all of the needed info to place an order, and if not for the fact a flag went up when a large order of motorcycle parts under my name was getting "shipped to" Indonesia, I might not have known until long after my money had purchased some happy Indonesians a bracing ride through the Indonesian countryside. Which I hear is lovely this time of year.

But I digress. Get a load of the following. It would be VERY easy to be taken in by this one.

New Credit Card Scam

This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want.

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it. This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "Master Card".

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern,
and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a Marketing company based in Arizona?" When you say
"No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been w atching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags
most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a Fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1- 800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for
Security.

You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works. The caller then says "I need to verify you are in possession of your card". He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers". ; There are 7 numbers;
the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security Numbers' that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have
the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you
still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say No, the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA
Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charged to our card.

Long story - short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them.
Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the
information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purc hases you didn't
make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of Master Card" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a
police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: New MasterCard and Visa Scam.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://novatownhall.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/1033

Thanks for posting this really scary chain email about something that has probably never actually happened. At least this source is better than your usually sources like the World Net Daily.

Funny, though, I don't think this is quite as scary as the idea that someone who is clearly mentally ill, who has been committed to a mental hospital for observation, and who was the subject of no less than five police investigations for being threatening, can walk into a gun store and after a cursory instant check can purchase a semi-automatic handgun and 50 rounds of ammunition, no questions asked. For some reason I find that really scary. But that's just me.

You, Zimzo, are an idiot, but I'm sure you know that, and godalmighty I appreciate that about you.

Mr. "Let's politicize the murders" unabashadly. I am grateful for the fact that we have you here, at NVTH, to conduct this conversation that so many people would consider ridiculous.

stay puft said:

Indonesia!?!

Dearest Joe, since when did you decide politics was so dirty? It must have occurred after you aswered my so-called politicizing of these murders with some eager politicizing of your own. Then Jack happily jumped in until Jacob chastized me specifically (but not naming you or Jack). You then claimed to be shocked--shocked!--that anyone would stoop so low as to politicize this event. Your indignation was quite touching.

I'm surprised no one has yet pointed out my hypocrisy in all this so I will do it for you. Jacob was denouncing me in revenge for denouncing him for politicizing 9/11 way back when. In my defense, however, I think 9/11 is an event where we should all be on the same side and it really irks me the way it has been used to divide America by those who used it to justify such things as the War in Iraq, which it has nothing to do with. So my problem with politicizing 9/11 is really about how it has been politicized.

As far as the Virginia Tech shootings go, I of course was as upset as anyone here about what happened and my very brief initial comment about it was made in anger. I know many people who went to VT and have been there and even stayed in the dorm where the first shooting occurred. Of course, I mourn the people who died there and to imply otherwise is ridiculous.

However, I think there are legitimate policy questions that we disagree on, and this blog has certainly done its share romanticizing of gun culture. Certainly the rest of the country does not think this conversation is "ridiculous." But if you would rather talk about mythical credit card scams that is your perogative.

You are a goober, Zimzo. A total, complete goober. The credit card scam - for the benefit of our not-insane readers, is a perfectly worthy topic of discussion and your attempt to discredit it is bizarre.

Folks, ignore Zimzo, and watch your credit cards.

This drunken madman is trying to make the case that nothing matters except his own screwy fixations.

So, Zimzo, are you here to argue that credit card scams do not exist because of the massacre at Virginia Tech?

Moron.

Had Enough said:

I get emails 2 to 5 week that claim they are from Paypal and that my account has been suspended and I need to update my personal information.

I also get emails claiming to be from ebay to directly buy something bid on.

I've also gotten fake emails from dozens of banks that I never dealt with.

It is a serious situation that goes far beyond charging merchandise.

Kevin said:

"Credit card scammers have devised plots that you would never believe. The fraud and loss to consumers is huge.

It is not bad enough that they defraud you, but the time spent to clean up the mess is more than a nuisance."

Color me red, I agree with Had Enough. Though the email does read like typical forwarded fear-mail. But seriously, one wouldn't believe the lengths and techniques that individuals/groups go to to commit credit fraud, some even ingenious. It's a huge problem, which credit companies then dubiously capitalize on by selling "protection" guised under monthly credit checks for which you pay a nominal monthly fee. That "protection" is also bogus.

Furthermore, Zimzo, you are LYING AGAIN!! Cho was NOT committed. He WAS investigated, but none of the women filed charges. If either of those had happened, he would not have been able to get the guns.

Jack, when you type in capital letters IT MAKES YOU LOOK CRAZY! I certainly feel safer knowing that people like you and Cho can easily purchase guns.

Joe, I have a really scary email about gang initiations where they drive with their headlights off and kill anyone who flashes them. Do you want me to forward it to you so that you can warn readers of this frightening danger?

When you continue with lies, you ARE CRAZY!!

"The doctor determined that Mr. Cho was mentally ill, but not an imminent danger, and the judge declined to commit him, instead ordering outpatient treatment." -NYT, 4/19/07 (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/19/us/19gunman.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin)

I will, however, try to use HTML tags for bold and italics to add emphasis, but it does not work in all blogs.

Nope. The bold and italics don't work here, either. Any other ideas, or do you just like to criticize without offering solutions?

BEING LABELED AS 'CRAZY' BY ZIMZO IS A GOOD THING. YOU DO NOT WANT TO SHARE EVEN A SMIDGEN OF MINDSPACE WITH THAT TIME-WASTING WEASEL.

stay puft said:

3 days,

That's the amount of time if takes for Jack to become The Authority on an issue that previously no one knew anything about.

if you're not an expert in as many days or less, he'll call you a LIER

Had Enough said:

zimzo: That email was circulated in 2002 after news reports that began in CA. It wasn't a joke.