We'll be right back here in a month

Thanks to LI and Jay for highlighting today's Post article - which I bet has smoke coming out of ears throughout the state ... from the heads of Virginia government agencies and Latino-advocacy organizations alike.

The resolution's effect on Hispanic communities has stretched well beyond Prince William.

"They're talking about this in Jefferson County, in Clarke, all the way to West Virginia," Adrian Escobar said in Spanish, sipping from a Big Gulp cup outside a pupusa kiosk on Route 1. He and his brother Antonio dashed across the border from Mexico nearly 15 years ago and have been in the United States illegally since. They live in Winchester and make $17 an hour as flagmen for a Virginia Department of Transportation subcontractor.

The Escobar brothers shrugged at all the fretting they'd been hearing from other Hispanics last week, including workers who commute to Prince William to do its grunt work. "Who else is going to pave the roads here?" Adrian asked, cracking up with laughter. "An American? Ha!"

Antonio said he wasn't fazed. "If you're afraid, they'll just intimidate you more," he said. Besides, he added, the brothers have a plan in case Prince William police and immigration officials send them home for a "free vacation" to their father's farm in Guanajuato.

"We'll be right back here in a month," Antonio said

Someone probably should have given Adrian the memo about how the "jobs Americans won't do" line is supposed to be delivered, and how the May 2006 in-your-face attitude worked out for the pro-illegal movement.

Now, how does everyone feel about getting some tough ordinances about legal hiring and ICE participation passed here in Loudoun?

I thought so.

It does seem like Judicial Watch might take an interest in this fascinating Commonwealth of Virginia policy on subcontractors.

Stay tuned for more details on the Free Vacations Program.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: We'll be right back here in a month.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://novatownhall.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/1268

Eric the 1/2 troll said:

The comment is certainly in your face - but it also has a ring of reality to it. The facts as they stand now are that these people make Americans look like the new lazy, rich, nobility and the illegals WILL likely be back in a few months. This (the PWC law) is surely no solution to the problem. Better to focus on the companies doing the hiring or illegals, imo. But, of course, then Americans would have to clean their own toilets and dig their own ditches and it will cost corporate US (and consumers) a lot more to get the mundane work done. I doubt that situation would be tolerated for long.

The free market is calling for cheap labor. Illegals fit that bill. Where are all the free market conservatives now? Call for governmental regualtion and enforcement? How ironic!

Its an election year (or one is approaching). "Illegal Aliens" are the new "War on Terror". It is designed to be a vote getter and nothing more. All I have to say is that the Republicans had many years to deal with the issues and failed. Time for a new approach.

Troll -- the "free market" has nothing to do with it. Companies are not free to hire CITIZENS at wages below the minimum, so our citizens cannot compete with the illegal immigrants.

Troll,
Free markets depend on all parties working within the law. Or the market falls apart.

For instance, the Chinese do not respect intellectual property rights. Yes, the official policy says they do, but the de-facto policy is one of non-enforcement. This causes all kinds of chaos. Taken to its logical conclusion such theft will kill the industries that are being pirated.

In effect illegal immigrants are in doing the same thing. The economy is not static. There is lots of feedback in the loop(s).

Eric the 1/2 troll said:

"Free markets depend on all parties working within the law."

So now you all believe regulation (aka, "the law") of the free market is a good thing. Will you guys PLEASE make up your mind!

It's not an all-or-nothing proposition, Troll.

Not all regulation is good, nor is all regulation bad. But when there is regulation, then it must be evenly applied to all players.

stay puft said:

???

anyway, according to heritage, 1.6 million workers earn min. wage. 1/2 of them are teenagers. 1.6 million is a lot of jobs, but it isn't really a huge sector of our economy.

also, I don't understand why no one ever wants to consider the jobs that are created by undocumented workers. Maybe they send some money home, but a lot of it goes back in to the US economy. So if you know any teenagers who can't find a minimum wage job because of undocumented workers, tell them to try opening up a taco stand down by that day labor center in Prince William.

I think either Eric is Zimzo or else there is some semi-retarded groupthink thing going on in certain liberal corners...presuming he knows anything at all about us because, I guess, he reads "The American Progressive" to find out what we "conservatives" think.

Hey, Eric, here's one of the questions Zimzo consistently ducks, so let's give you a shot at it:

I thought liberals cared about American blue collar workers and the less prosperous among our citizenry. Why are you in favor of throwing them under the bus for the benefit of ruthless American employers and Mexican plutocrats? You realize, that is NOT being "compassionate." That is just being a tool.

General,

The taco stand deal is already covered, in spades, by illegal aliens. But if you have any other suggestions along those lines please send them along. Blue collar jobs for Americans have become a thing of the past because wages are pretty much where they were 30 years ago. Is it different in Michigan?

Troll,
Theft of goods. Be the goods, intellectual property (my example), emptying the till (a direct transfer of gold) or the theft of labor (we have laws currently on the books proclaiming both minimum wage levels and the unionization of the trades) it is all the same. Such theft leads to a reduction in trade.

Recall, when the highways are dangerous, the cost of goods go up, or their flow is halted.

A reduction in trade shrinks the market and will eventually destroy the economy. If it is not above board corruption only increases and that is also bad for the economy.

"I never understand this line of reasoning that immigration is lowering wages for US workers and that the solution is to repeal the minimum wage so that US workers can earn a lower wage."

The solution is to enforce the laws we already have, including sealing the borders. If there is still a problem, then we can discuss new laws. But it does not good to replace one set of unenforced laws with another.

"I don't understand why no one ever wants to consider the jobs that are created by undocumented workers."

What jobs? If unskilled laborers created more jobs than they take, then there would never be unemployment, would there?

"Taco stand"? Sounds kinda racist to me.

ACTivist said:

I liked the line about a free vacation to daddy's place. I would interrupt that along with being here illegal for 15 years that they DON'T WANT TO GO BACK! Guest worker program be damned.

stay puft, I'm not sure what jobs you are talking about "illegals" creating but they do give back to the econmy-fast foods, wal-mart, grocery stores, even the second hand market. But let me ask you this- where in all that do they pay taxes (other than retail goods) to the county that supports their social services needs? I would still have the same problem with the laws if they paid their own way thru schools, doctors and the like. It just makes it worse when they drain the services that they CAN'T support.

Eric the 1/2 troll said:

"I thought liberals cared about American blue collar workers and the less prosperous among our citizenry."

Joe,

I can't speak for zizmo, or any other liberal organization. And first of all, I am 100% FOR corporations being smacked down HARD for hiring illegals. That is what causes this problem and it will not be solved until that practice is stopped.

To address your question about Liberalism in general, I think you will find that the common theme is concern about the down trodden in our society. The roots of this were found in the corporate abuses of workers around the turn of the century (hence the Union connection). It also led to the New Deal under FDR (born out of compassion for the unemployed, etc.) The new group that is (frankly) abused in American is the illegal alien. Like it or not, these people are here and they do the worst jobs for the worst pay. Now they are being villified by the Right as "the problem" when the REAL problem is (as usual) corporate greed.

Hope that I have answered your question (at least as far as I can do so). I took an honest stab at it - I'm sure I'll pay for it.

While I certainly understand that corporate greed has something to do with the immigration problem, greed is not limited to the corporations. Individual greed has also contributed. The unions got the corporations over a barrel, and ended up screwing themselves out of their jobs. The auto workers are now finding out that negotiating yourself a great pension and health care in retirement doesn't do you any good if your company goes bankrupt. So, figuring that governments won't go backrupt (they have, you know) the socialists have decided to do try the same with the federal government (Social Security and Medicare).

stay puft said:

what? Personally, I prefer a taco stand to any other sort of stand.

ACt:

They pay taxes when they buy stuff, and they pay property taxes in the form of rent. I believe many do pay income taxes. It's all on the pew hispanic website.

anyway, when I worked for min. wage, I didn't pay income taxes either; I was exempt. So...

When people participate in the economy they create jobs. The fast food and wal-mart stores have to hire people to serve the customers, etc. Do you think you can cut 13 million consumers out of our economy without seeing any negative effects?

...Taco stand, hotdog stand, whatever; all i'm saying is that if there are 13 million more consumers in this country and no one can figure out how to sell them anything, we should be ashamed to call ourSELVes Americans!

I perfer a deer stand, myself.

"anyway, when I worked for min. wage, I didn't pay income taxes either; I was exempt."

But you DID pay payroll taxes.

"When people participate in the economy they create jobs."

Certainly, but not as many as they take.

P.S. Tippy's Taco's is AWSOME!

Marshmallow,
In the long run we are NOT helping them. Mexico is rich in resources and ariable land. Why are they THAT d@mned poor. The had 70 years of single party rule and you can't trust the cop on the beat, the judge behind the bench, the postal worker, or any other civil servant. http://www.novatownhall.com/blog/2007/07/illegal_immigration_hinders_re.php#more

Eric the 1/2 troll said:

"So if the "liberals" are so in favor of helping the downtrodden, how can you support abortion? Talk about a group that can't stand up for itself!

And how about gun control? Lord knows it's not the rich that suffer from that debacle."

Jack, I am NOT the spokesperson for the Liberal agenda. And I think we can find inconsistencies in every political party.

While, personally, I do not believe that abortion is something that deserves "protection", I do see the support for "choice" as stemming from the abuse of women (especially unyoung, single, pregnant, women) in the past. Frankly, if the pro-life movement REALLY wants to address this practice, they probably should start by addressing the impact on the rights of women as well so as to avoid the perception of backsliding in the process.

I do not see gun control as an issue involving the downtrodden in any fashion.

Troll,
It is the 'downtrodden' who are on the receiving end of violence. Not the rich.

"I think we can find inconsistencies in every political party."

A point of agreement at last!

ACTivist said:

puft,

We have figured out how to sell to 13 million "new" consumers. That is why there is K-Mart AND Wal-Mart, Big Lots, etc. Not knowing who is legal and who is not, I have paid attention to immigrant buying and see that they go cheap and, for the most part, what is necessary to survive (except for the beer. Got to have the beer). Otherwise the stores mentioned above and their like sustain these new consumers. All those goods are imports and poor imports at best. So are they helping the U.S. economy or just boosting our trade deficit by buying foreign goods?

Tom said:

Activist-
I used to live out in Luray, and I can tell you when they opened the Walmart in 2000 there was a line of white people all the way down US211. I didn't see any of them cheap buying brown people there when the folks of Page County were digging the grave of their own small businesses.

Joseph Heinzinger said:

Every body is so ignorant of the construction labor market in our "Right to work state of Virginia" You can get a drywall man for $11 dollars an hour working 70 hours a week with no overtime, no fica taxes, no unemployment insurance, no workmans comp insurance. HOW? Just use that big old loop hole of republican special interest and "Contract them" with 1099. Very easy to get at your local town hall. False social security numbers never checked and lost tax revenue forever gone. Remember the republicans in VA keep repealing the bill that would narrowly define "family member" Ther building industry buddies would have no place to house the 11 dollar an hour drywall man. Less proffit for them.