Why You Need To Work To Ensure Greg Ahlemann Is Our Next Sheriff

As hinted at here last month, there appears to have been a bit of back room treachery going on among a clique of local Republicans for the purpose of getting Steve Simpson re-elected as sheriff, after Mr. Simpson got clobbered at the Republican Convention in June and took about four hours to break his pledge to support the party nominee.

The chicanery seems to have included a really pitiable whispering campaign which a semi-prominent local Republican even attempted to disseminate here but which has gone absolutely nowhere - especially now that the superior candidate, Greg Ahlemann, has decided to confront all the allegations directly (more here).

Tough luck for the weasels: Greg Ahlemann is no shrinking violet.

Now comes the revelation via a leaked e-mail exchange - just posted by Loudoun Insider - that some prominent GOPers may have basically leaned on the Ahlemann campaign to shut up about the activities of Simpson supporters within the party. So rather then being thrown out on their arses, the turncoats were permitted to stay, and - if the e-mails are genuine - they counterattacked.

No one I've spoken with has confirmed the e-mail messages are for real, although the lack of response suggests to me they are. Read them for yourself and you'll see they have the semblance of authenticity.

What this means is some people supposedly in the party are really not going to make it easy for the party nominee, Greg Ahlemann, to win this election. What this says about the party is, in my opinion, not much, but then, I have a REALLY cynical view of human nature. There is no reason to think the natural snakiness inhabiting the human race as a whole would not also inhabit the Loudoun County Republican Committee in precisely the same proportions.

More significant is what this episode portends for the public perception of Steve Simpson.

My take on Mr. Simpson from the beginning, since I began following the illegal immigration issue last year and the campaign at the beginning of this year, is he is a decent guy, a little on the feckless side, who happens to have so interest whatsoever in doing anything proactive about discouraging illegal aliens from coming to this area. In Mr. Simpson's words, it's a federal issue, end of story. Until Greg Ahlemann stepped onto the scene in February, Mr. Simpson's entire stated philosophy on the issue was a litany of excuses for why his department will NEVER do anything more than it was currently doing. (You can read the Sheriff's take on the issue, and some of the flack he took from locals, during the February townhall meeting here and here; a little more citizen flack here.)

Mr. Simpson's response to citizens' complaints has been, in essence, you really have nothing to complain about because things are getting better, and in any case there is nothing I can do about it.

Naturally, this approach has not endeared the sitting sheriff to many local residents, and the current controversy will sully his reputation even further while providing quite a bit of motivation to those who want him out of office. QUITE a bit of motivation, I would guess.

I can imagine that local activists who might be getting a bit weary of the campaign season, which has been going on for nearly a year, might get a fresh blast of energy if messages begin circulating to the effect "Hey look at this outrage! Are we going to let them get away with this? Do you need any MORE reasons to work to get Greg Ahlemann elected?" Getting Steve Simpson out of there, while also knocking his supporters down a few pegs, could provide the inspiration to take a few more hours off of work, get up a little earlier on a Saturday, knock on a few more doors.

In a low-turnout election, a few more motivated people three weeks out could make a difference, if such messages were to circulate. Hypothetically.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Why You Need To Work To Ensure Greg Ahlemann Is Our Next Sheriff.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://novatownhall.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/1398

prince said:

He with out sin cast the first stone. Joe - you take the weasel of the year award. How fast you all are to exhibit self righteous indignation, like the folks over at Too Conservative many of who are outraged, but are clearly delighted as well, about the e-mail fiasco because it damages those they are against, not because it lifts Alhemann up. That is just a convenient little extra benefit for you guys. And Greg S. is tickled because he can write one of his ridiculous blurbs and not get shot down for excessive use of sound-bites, because in this case they slightly agree with him.

It is truly beyond me why you think that I am Ken Reid. I am not, and I am not a member of the LCRP. The reason I brought up the nasty rumors of the tattoo is that it freaks the hell out of me, though the rumors did come to me from members of the LCRP. I am no less freaked out after reading Greg's candid interview BTW, and though it may be reassuring to many other Christians out there, its kinda hard on the ears for those of us who are not Christians. Does this mean I am not a "chosen" person and therefore subject to the wrath of those that are?

I do admire Greg for his candidness, assuming he was completely honest, though I have to take it with a grain of salt because I am sure he wasn’t going to say anything over the top just weeks before the election.

Politically speaking I think it was a disaster because the County’s demographics have changed significantly and there are many non-Christians, and even mainstream Christians, that are not going to feel comfortable with this. Of course we know he is willing to lose rather than stifle his religous convictions, which I also admire.

No, Prince, I believe that it is you who have chosen.

arwillow said:

What I continue to respect about Ahlemann is his ability to be open and transparent. Whether it's his private, personal beliefs or the political platform he's running on for Sheriff, he continues to show integrity and honesty. That's what matters.

Ken, do you really want me to say how you were crowned? You are not much of a tech guy are you.

prince said:

Yes, please do tell me.

prince said:

and BTW, I am not much of a tech GIRL.

prince said:

This article in the Loudoun Times proves my point, this is not going to go over well w/the mainstream.

prince said:

woops, I meant Wash Post, which has an even larger readership

Fantastic for name recognition. This should really boost Greg.

Greg Ahlemann said:

I learned a few things...."I can sell ice to an Eskimo". That's precious. Thank you to the candidate formerly known as a Republican for that compliment.

Good news for residents of Sterling and Leesburg, both of my opponents agree their is no problem in Loudoun with illegal immigration. I must be doing something right for the incumbent (what pledge?) and the democrat are both targeting my campaign.

The fact is, win or lose, I campaign on issues that I believe are important for the future of Loudoun County. I didn't resign and run for office to please everyone. As seen on another blog site, I apparently don't please some Republicans because I'm vocal about right and wrong. Does anyone really want their sheriff to be controlled by power players in either party? I wasn't appointed the position as the democrats did. I didn't have the advantage of incumbency and joint slate of constitutional officers supporting me as the current sheriff did. The VOTERS chose me. I have delivered a consistent message through out my campaign. I campaigned on getting ICE training before it was the issue that it is.

The choice in this race is between 2 candidates who talk about what they have done and argue which is more qualified vs a candidate with passion, vision and integrity. I'm excited to take this message to the voters.

There were individuals, who used to be considered "good" Republicans, that believed they could use a whisper campaign, about a tattoo, to slander me. I embrace it and any criticism that comes with it. Part of leadership, that doesn't come from a degree or a promotion, involves standing for what you believe in. My opponents seem to lack this.

Finally, if my faith in God and belief in the Bible are negative attributes, then I have to live with the consequences. When people try to be all things to all people, they lose sight of who they are. When I wake up on Nov. 7th, I want to be proud of my actions no matter the outcome.

Prince, You sure have given every indication of BEING Ken Reid, including comments from a domain owned by his company, fdainfo.com, but I admit you may not be. Other people can post from the same IP address, and other people can choose the same pseudonym - you could be Laura Valle for goodness sakes. How would we ever know. We're just having fun with you, you old Ahlemann-hating curmudgeon, who seems almost paranoicly fixated on Greg Ahlemann.

HEY KEN: GREG AHLEMANN IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!

Ha ha ha ha. Made you jump.

BTW it's nice to have you "keeping an eye" on us. The fact you have limited your purview to arguing in the comments section of BLOGS, however, tells me you are hesitant to speak your message to a wider audience. Do you have any idea how small a proportion of the voting public gets their information from blogs, much less by scrolling through the comments? On our best days we are lucky to get 600 visits, and the majority of them are from google searches for one of Jack's uploaded graphics a while back. I think the majority of these ARE in fact from Latvia. Sorry to have to be the one to point this out.

If you like, I will be happy to help construct a soapbox at the corner of King and Market streets, from whence you can deliver your observations. You will reach thousands of more people that way, I guarantee it.

prince said:

Why yes Joe, I do realize the limitations of blogs, most people I work with don't even really know what they are.
I gotta admit, I don't want to see Greg Alhemann as the next Sherriff, but the way to make sure that doesn't happen is not by posting on blogs. I just do that to be a little thorn in your side, hopefully one that will get infected. But I am glad you are having fun.

No worries, I have a mainstream audience too.

prince(ess) said:

and even though most people don't read blogs, they do make for great clippings to pass along. And now you think I am Laura Valle. Does Help Save Loudoun drive around in a van called the Mystery Machine? Let me guess, Greg Stone is Scobby!

Well, no, Laura, it is not what I "think." As long as we are agreed not to play games any longer, I can just say flat out that one prince was posting from Ken Reid's company a few weeks ago, and this new "prince" is coming from the same IP location as comments a few days ago by Laura Valle, and saying basically the same kinds of things.

Hint: When you switch names, you need to also switch where you are posting from if the idea is to hide your identity. Post under your own name from home, for instance, and then take the laptop to someplace like Panera Bread - using a different browser - and post under the other name. Consider changing your voice as well.

I normally would not "out" one of our visitors, but since you took it upon yourself to throw flames at our group I think you should be big enough to catch a few of your own. Posting under the name "Joe" in the other thread, also, is a sure invitation to have your details made public.

Incidentally: Greg Stone, you might have noticed, posts as G. Stone in all the local blogs. There is a lesson there.

Laura said:

Well, now you are just gonna have to figure out which comments are mine and which are Ken's, if you don't have any thing better to do.

Anyway, Greg Stone was no the Interim ED of a 501(c)(3) was he? You made it pretty clear that whatever I said was just as good as if it came from La Voz which was pretty stifling and completely untrue. After all, an employee of an ED can say whatver he/she wants as long as he/she makes it clear that they are doing so as a rep. of the org. The only way to get around that with you, given your track record, was to not use my name. That way it was the substance, or lack thereof, that counted.

10 feet tall and bulletproof said:

I am me. And Snow's got some "splainin" to do.
Keep on truckin' Greg. Methinks you've got them worried.

PS...
Your campaign called and wanted to know if I needed a sign. I said yes, it would compliment my collection at the driveway. To date, there's been no sign show up.

Laura, no I actually don't have to "figure out" anything at all. The way this software called Movable Type works, whenever someone leaves a comment, it sends the author an automatic e-mail saying Someone just commented on your post, click here if you want to go respond to them. The e-mail also includes their IP address. So as soon as you hit the submit button, I know which IP address the message came from, and can probably tell whether it is you or the big guy.

Honcho, I have a bunch of signs. Let me know if you are going to be around Eastern Loudoun anytime.

Laura Valle said:

10 ft. It's hard to know when you really mean what you say. I can't stomach that stuff. And yes, I am worried about the prospect of Alhemann as Sherrif.

Joe, all's I know is that I randomly picked the name Prince, well I am a big fan, and have not seen any other post using that name that I didn't post myself. I think you screwed up somewhere because there are only 2 places in the County where I post and neither of them is Ken Reid's office.

I gotta tell you that I assumed from the very beginning that you knew who I was so I was shocked when you guys started referring to me as Ken over at the LTM.

Weird.

Laura, you could not be expected to know the whole story since it happened here and blew over pretty quickly, but the other "prince" was posting from an IP traced to Ken Reid's company, so some of us assumed it was the same prince at the LTM Web site. The reason I looked into it is that prince attempted to further the whispering campaign against Greg Ahlemann. That prince got banned here for awhile and had his comments redacted.

The other prince also indicated once that he represented two people and one of them was a woman. No one here gave it much thought at the time - I thought it was a smokescreen, or maybe a husband and wife team.

Now I guess some of us are wondering if there is any coordination between you two, or is this just a big massive coincidence of two people using the same pseudonym - right down to the lower-case "p" - and expressing similar views on the same topics ...

Laura said:

Well Joe, perhaps you could assign half of the HSL investigative team into researching the potential coordination between myself and Ken Reid and the other half could continue to look into the Mexican govs plan to export the poor and criminal indigenous population.

That way you can get to the bottom of it all, or at least to the bottom.

And I do take credit for the fictional piece on the coming Civil War, well my husband helped with that one. Remember, when last we checked you where hodling the Sterling Park fort with Delgaudio.

Nah, whatever you and Ken decide to do is actually fine with us. I did not mean to give the impression it was not.

10 ft tall and bulletproof said:

I came home from Mr. Higgins evening at Bruton's, and MAGICALLY, I had an Ahleman sign already set up. Thanks much, Tom. I appreciate it.

Marjorie said:

I WOULD LIKE TO REMIND LOUDOUN COUNTY RESIDENTS ABOUT AN ACT BY SHERIFF SIMPSON RIGHT AFTER HIS RE-ELECTION IN 2003,IN

YOU SEE SHERIFF SIMPSON DEMOTED SEVERAL OF HIS LONG STANDING DEPUTIES JUST AFTER HIS RE-ELECTION IN 2003. HE HAS STATED THAT IT WAS NOT POLITCALLY MOTIVATED BUT I HAVE TO QUESTION HIS TIMING ON THIS EVENT, ALONG WITH THE MORALE IN THE DEPARTMENT FOLLOWING SAID DEMOTIONS.

SO FAR I HAVE NOTICED THAT HIS FILING AS AN INDEPENDENT GOES AGAINST HIS VERY OWN WORDS.THIS ACT SHOWS NO HONOR OR INTEGRITY IN MY BOOK.

SO MY QUESTION TO ALL LOUDOUN RESIDENTS,
CAN SHERIFF SIMPSON BE A FAIR AND IMPARTIAL LEADER IF RE-ELECTED. CAN WE EXPECT SHERIFF SIMPSON TO SAY WHAT HE MEANS AND FOLLOW THOUGH OR DO WE RE-ELECT SHERIFF SIMPSON IN HOPES THAT HE'LL STICK TO HIS WORD WITH HONOR AND INTREGITY THAT APPEARS TO ME TO BE MISSING IN THIS CAMPAIGN.

MARJORIE said:

WHEN THE 2003 ELECTIONS WERE HELD I WAS HOPING THAT SHERIFF SIMPSON AND THE COMMONWEALTH ATTORNEY, ANDERSON I THINK WOULD LOOSE THEIR POSTIONS WITH SOME NEW PEOPLE BEING ELECTED.

WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT RACE TURNED OUT.

I FEEL SHERIFF SIMPSON WON THE LAST ELECTION DUE TO THE FACT THERE WERE SO MANY OTHERS RUNNING FOR SHERIFF THAT HIS FACE, NOT HIS LEADERSHIP WON HIM THAT ELECTION.

WELL, NOT THIS TIME,

WHEN GOING TO THE POLLS, ASK YOURSELF THIS…IS SHERIFF SIMPSON THE RIGHT MAN FOR LOUDOUN COUNTY, HAS HE REMAINED INTACT WITH HONOR, INTEGRITY AND HIS BEST INTERST AT MAKING LOUDOUN COUNTY A SAFE PLACE TO LIVE AND RAISE A FAMILY.

I ALSO ASK THAT YOU THINK OF THE BEST INTEREST OF THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE PERSONEL. WITHOUT UNITY IN THE FORCE THERE IS DIVISION.
DIVISION MEANS FAILURE, LOUDOUN COUNTY SHERIFF’S ARE GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE.. GIVE YOUR SUPPORT AND VOTE FOR GREG ALHEMANN

Would you mind very much turning off the ALL CAPS?

MARJORIE said:

HEY JOE,

SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK, BUT HEY, I'M NOT YELLING
JUST NEED TO SEE WHAT I TYPE, AND YES I HAVE NEW GLASSES...LOL...

MARJORIE said:

BELOW IS A STATEMENT FROM LOUDOUN TIMES MIRROR ABOUT SHERIFF SIMPSON. I WOULD LIKE READERS TO KNOW THAT A LETTER I SENT TO THE EDITOR(AT LTM) IN REGARDS TO SHERIFF SIMPSON WAS DENIED FOR PRINT.

I FIND LTM BIASED IN THIS ELECTION. AS FOR INTREGITY ON SHERIFF SIMPSON'S PART, IN MY BOOK HE'S PRETTY MUCH HUNG HIS VOTE BY RUNNING AS AN INDEPENTENT, SOMETHING HE STATED HE WOULD NOT DO.
AS FOR EXPERIENCE, ASK YOURSELF THIS. HAS SHERIFF SIMPSON RUN HIS OFFICE IN A RESPONSABLE MANNER IN REGARDS TO FUNDING PROGRAMS NEEDED FOR LOUDOUN COUNTY'S SAFETY FOR IT'S CITIZENS.

Steve Simpson (I) ?Integrity and experience spell the difference in this countywide race. He has experience in managing an ever-soaring Sheriff's Office budget so Loudoun law enforcement can get the most out of what it's given. Like Clem, Simpson is adamant that public safety never should be shortchanged financially. Despite all the campaign mudslinging, Greg Ahlemann (R) lacks the managerial experience for this job. Mike George (D), has some forward thinking ideas, but could they work in Loudoun?